‘It’s the little things in life’ a phrase you have most likely heard at one point or another. It sounds like such a cliché right? We see this phrase fly around all the time. We think it sounds great but in reality, do we LIVE for this and do we actually understand what it’s like to let the little things in life bring us joy?
By learning to appreciate the small things in life, we must first focus on our mindset at its present. If you are struggling to find joy in the simple things then more than likely you may need to change your mindset. Turning your negative mind into a positive one.
Lets look at some examples of what it means to enjoy the simple things in life.
It means to focus on the things that you already have.
This is where we need to go back to basic and look at where our mindset is at present.
- Are you finding yourself focusing too much on what everyone else has around you?
- Do you envy others for what they have? and if yes…
- Are not having these items making you feel less of a person?
By focusing on what everyone else has, we are naturally looking at what we DON’T have rather than the things that we DO have. We have lost the understanding of what it feels like to appreciate our life for what it is.
What effect does that have on us mentally? It sets us up with negative thoughts which lead to having negative emotions. When we are filled with negative emotions it means that when we face negative situations that come by in life, we are less likely to have the ability to pick ourselves up and keep moving forward.
You look for the good in others rather than the bad
Once we have learnt to focus on the things we have rather than the things we don’t, we can then learn to look for the positive in others rather than the negative. Why? Because we have already started shifting our negative emotions within our self into positive emotions. Therefore we can start shifting our negative emotions towards others and turn them into positive.
- Do you find yourself taking someone’s opinions as an automatic attack towards yourself?
- Have you ever disliked someone for their more ‘lavish’ or ‘blessed’ life style?
- Do you find yourself envying others for their physical appearance?
If yes, let’s reflect on why we may be doing this which takes me back to my first point.
We have stopped focusing and appreciating the things we have and this is leading to negative thoughts and negative emotions within our self. We are then left with nothing but envy and jealousy towards others.
By focusing on these materialistic items, we are setting our mindset up to believe that materialism is what defines us. Therefore when we cannot ‘afford’ these items we believe we are not worthy enough and less of a person than the girl/woman we are idolising. What does this do? Leads to self hate within our self.
What can we achieve by enjoying the simple things?
You will find yourself being easily impressed. Not just within yourself, but also from others around you.
Once you have learnt to shift your mindset from appreciating the things we have rather than don’t have, you will then find yourself appreciating the smaller things people do for you rather than the things they don’t.
Life will becomes just that little bit more exciting. By allowing yourself to become easily impressed and focusing on the yes’s rather than the no’s, you will begin to discover appreciation and gratitude within yourself you didn’t know was possible.
When someone has gratitude and appreciation they also project optimism and positivity. Traits in which we need to build a strong foundation within ourselves.
How can I learn to appreciate the simple things?
Here are some examples which have helped me shift my mindset over the years:
- We can start by being aware of our surroundings. Take notice of the things people are doing for you in your everyday life. For example, when my boyfriend surprises me with coffee in bed I always make an effort to thank him. It may be a small gesture but I never let it go unnoticed.
- Focus on what you have rather than what you don’t have. Example, a common issue with girls today is we spend much more than we should. So, you cant afford a new dress for this weekend? Is that because the clothes you have in your wardrobe are really that hideous? Why don’t you try focusing on what really matters. It’s not the dress on the girl, its the girl within the dress that people care about.
- Never expect. I don’t expect things from others but rather I focus on what I can do for myself. If I want it, ill achieve it myself rather than expect someone to help me get there. More often than not, I always get surprised by the helping hands that come my way. By not expecting anything I am always left with nothing but appreciation for the time and effort others give to help.
We all have something to be grateful for, we just need to open our eyes a little to see it.
So what are the simple things in life you are appreciating at present?
Some articles that may help you further:
DO YOU KNOW WHAT MAKES YOU, YOU? – An understanding in what defines you are a person.
HAVE YOU EVER FEARED THE JUDGEMENT OF OTHERS? HERE IS WHY YOU SHOULDN’T!
Outfit supplied by Picpoket Australia – Three Of Something Westward Tribute Jumpsuit