I have been in this same position before too, October 2016 to be exact! That was the date I actually posted my first official blog article. It seems like so long ago but it has only been 10 months!
I had started in March 2016 just by ‘Insta blogging’ (uploading product and self photos with little captions). The ultimate goal was to start a blog eventually however I had no idea where to even start or what to write about nor the journey it was about to take me on.
I opted on writing this blog post because I have now found myself in a position helping others to start their blogging journey too. I have decided to tackle some of the most common statements and questions I have been asked.
- “You need to pick a topic and stick to it”. Don’t worry, I heard this plenty of times too and I couldn’t disagree more. If I had let this statement linger in my mind I probably would have never started my blog in the first place. The fact is, it most likely will change because that’s who we are as a humans. We change over the days, months and years and that is life. Blogging shouldn’t be seen as just a writing platform because it’s so much grater than that. Blogging is a door that you use to let people into your life. Whether it’s surface level or a little deeper, either way you are sharing some part of you as a person to anyone who jumps on and reads it. Life is a journey and so is your blog. Take people on it, don’t be afraid to change it. Embrace the situations life throws at you and SHARE IT!
- Stop waiting for the PERFECT blog before you launch it! I find so many (including myself) wait for the perfect layout, topics, photos etc before we even commit to launching our blog in the first place. It will never be perfect if that is what you are waiting for, there is no such thing as perfect! FACT: When I first launched mine, my photos were taken on my iPhone, poorly edited, no subscribers, no idea what I was writing about. I just winged it, but the fact that I started and because I started, it grew to what it has become today. If I kept waiting for the perfect blog it may have never been launched. Just do it, who cares. Write your little heart out. Write whatever comes to mind, write about what interests you! Just be you throughout this journey and don’t let the social media World try and shape you into someone you’re not. Just because someone else is blogging about a topic doesn’t mean you have to as well!
- Ignore those who discourage you. There will always be those who discourage you. Most of the time, you might find it could be people who are the closest to you! I certainly heard some snarly remarks when I first started out with my 50 followers and no blog subscribers. I am a huge supporter of people reaching for their goals and putting themselves out there. It’s not easy because the reality of social media is you are opening yourself up to the World to judge you. That’s not an easy thing to do and when people discourage you, it makes you think twice. I still get discouraging remarks and I won’t lie, it does get me down on occasions. Because this is something that is so close to my heart, sharing is my love and my passion and when people rain on my parade, it hurts. But I always pick myself back up and so should you! Remind yourself WHY you are here and WHY you are doing this. All you can do is ignore the comments as much as possible and strive to prove them wrong!
- Be yourself throughout the journey! Blogging is about being YOU. It’s about sharing what YOU love, your passions, your goals and your interests. Don’t ever try and hide away your true self because you think that being you won’t make you successful! Don’t compare yourself to other bloggers. EVER. If we try and compare ourselves we will pick apart our flaws and think we aren’t good enough to expose to the World. We are all good enough in our own way.To someone, your interests, stories and passions are unique and interesting. You will always be interesting to someone else so don’t for a moment think you aren’t. Invite them into your World, open up your heart, mind and soul and share what it is that you want to share. As humans, we learn from each others knowledge. We better ourselves from other peoples experiences and we should be proud of what we have to share! So be yourself utterly and completely and be proud of what and who you are today.
- Enjoy the ride, don’t rush it! Your time will come. If you have been following me for a while, then you would have heard me say this before. Don’t rush your journey, if you try and rush it and not let it unfold organically, is it really even your true journey? Or is it a journey you are forcibly creating for yourself? We are so anxious in catching up to everyone else around us that we never slow down and let life pan out how it should. When we don’t let it grow organically are we truly every pleased with the way it has panned out? Blogging is just like life. Let your blog grow the way it’s meant to. Even if it takes you 2-5 years to grow it, does it really matter? Do it because you love it and if you truly love it, it will show and your time will come.